When implementing a new employer in Tempo, you'll load employee information into the portal using the Census tool. Follow the steps below:
Once you’re on the “Census” tab in Tempo, you’ll download our census template file. Click Download Census Template. (We have also attached the latest version of the template to this article).
When you open the file in Excel, be sure to click Enable Macros if that option appears.
Note: You should always download the census template from here in Tempo, because this is the most up-to-date version. Please do not save the template to your desktop and use again when implementing employers in the future.
Save a copy of the census as “Employer Name-census.xls”.
Complete the “Census” sheet using the guidance and example rows in the first few rows.
- If you’re uploading employee elections, double check to make sure you’ve included elections for all plans on the file.
- If you don’t include an email address on the file, a temporary email address will be assigned and that employee will have to log in with their first name, last name, and SSN unless the email address is manually updated by the HR Admin.
- Once all employee information has been entered, click CONVERT on the file to convert the file into .CSV format, removing the guidance rows and columns.
Find your .CSV file in your “Documents” folder (Windows users) or “Downloads” folder (Mac users).
Return to Tempo and click Upload Census.
Select the .CSV file to upload. If the upload was successful, you’ll see this confirmation message:
Review any errors and warnings displayed by the Census Assistant. Errors must be corrected before the portal can be submitted to Maxwell. Warnings do not need to be corrected, but are things you may want to look into. Conveniently, the Census Assistant tells you exactly where to find the error in your .CSV file.
Correct any errors on the .CSV file saved to your computer, and upload the updated version by clicking Upload Census in Tempo. Once all errors have been corrected, you can confidently submit this portal to Maxwell!
Having issues uploading your Census? Let’s try to help you out!
- Getting this message when you press CONVERT in your file?
This means you need to enable macros. Where you go to do that can vary depending on the version of Excel you’re using, but this is the most common place to find it if you’re using Windows:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button > Excel Options
- Click Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Macro Settings
- Check the “Enable this content” option > OK
Sometimes you can get to the same place by clicking Options in this bar if it appears:
Getting this error when you press CONVERT in your file?
That’s OK! Here’s how to fix it.
- Download a new template from Tempo
- Copy the data from the original template where you got the error. ONLY copy the rows where there is data (do not copy extra blank rows).
- Paste the copied data into the new template you just downloaded
- And you should be good to go!
Getting an error in the Census Assistant that you think is not an error?
The Census Assistant is case sensitive across the application to ensure only the most accurate information is entered. Please make sure you enter the information using the exact formatting guidance provided on the census template.